Dopamine hits 1.0!

Hello everyone!

After almost 2 years of development, I’m proud to announce that Dopamine version 1.0 is released!

The road to 1.0 was long, but I had a lot of help from all over the world. That’s why I’d like to thank everyone who was involved in any way (donations, moral support, bug reports, feature requests and ideas, translations,…). Your input made Dopamine what it is today.

So does that mean the end of development for Dopamine? Far from it! The future will bring more fun stuff, like: scrobbling, album art preview in the Taskbar, online album art fetching, lyrics support, … A Windows mobile version of Dopamine is currently also in development. If you have a Windows Mobile 10 device, stay tuned.

So that’s it, go grab Dopamine 1.0 here and enjoy your music!

Dopamine release

25 Responses to “Dopamine hits 1.0!

• Iceverin
    2 years ago

This is really awesome! It looks good, it works good, but it needs a few more things to be considered a good music player. For now I’ll stay with my MediaMoneky, but cannot wait for new updates!

• Raphaël
      2 years ago

Thanks for your feedback! 🙂 What extra features do you recommend?

• AdmiralAsshat
    2 years ago

I gave it a try and it’s pretty nice so far! One thing I would find useful would be context menu integration. I have alot of music, but I tend not to use the Collection/Library section of music software. I don’t like music programs try to organize my music for me–I have over 1 TB of stuff and the programs trying to scan the drive tends to just slow them down. So I prefer to simply find a particular album I want to listen to and send the folder directly to the player.

Context menu integration would be nice, so that I can right-click on a folder in Windows Explorer and select “Play in Dopamine,” as I could back in the days of Winamp.

• Raphaël
      2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll add the “Play in Dopamine” context menu options in a next version.

• I like the UI but the sound stutters when I scroll through the catalog which kinda ruins it for me.

• Raphaël
      2 years ago

In case still wish to give it a shot, please check the settings. Under “Playback” there is an options to increase the latency. The stuttering is really hardware and audio driver dependent. Increasing the latency usually helps.

• Just FYI, I don’t have the stuttering on mine, and I have about 12,000 songs in my Library

• Really like your music player. It’s very simple, but does the job that I need it to do – which is to have a clear view of my music, nicely laid out and accessible.

Some things that I would like to see in the future (for myself personally) is:

1: Bit rate column
    2: Drag and drop music into the list
    3: Faster scrolling through artists (having something like A-Z fast scroll would be great)
    4: I’ve always wanted a functionality that allows me to search for a video clip of a song in my list. Something like right clicking on a song and selecting ‘search for youtube video’ or to that effect.

All the best with your project.

• Raphaël
      2 years ago

Hi! Thanks a lot for your feedback. I really like you suggestions. I have some answers and questions (I’ll follow your numbering):
      1. Do you mean in the “Songs” screen?
      2. That’s planned (eventually :))
      3. Try to click on one of the alphabetical headers in the list of artists. That opens up the semantic zoom. Then, when your click on one of the letters in semantic zoom, it’ll jump to that letter. Is that what you are looking for?
      4. I like this one. I’m creating a feature request, which I’ll try to add very soon.

Thanks again!

• Thank you very much for your reply.

1: Yep, 🙂
        2: Awesome!
        3: Yep, pretty much that – except in the ‘songs’ section. Since I find that Dopamine, for me at least, is always running in that section. The reason why I asked about this particular feature is because I have about 100GB~ of music, and the list is super long. I always thought that clicking the middle mouse button could pop up an A-Z, well I call it ‘fast scroll’ or ‘quick select’ just based on letter. Unless I am missing an already made feature in Dopamine? So far I’ve just been using the search, which does the job.

**Possible Bug**
        After playing a song that I searched for in Dopamine, the player doesn’t continue playing any other song except that particular one. So I would have to manually click another song, and then it plays everything in my ‘songs’ section. But if I just leave it, it keeps replaying the same song over and over.

• Thomas Bauer
    2 years ago

Can Dopamine used as a Network Player? I like to stream my Music with DLNA to my Denon Network Player.

• Moritz
    2 years ago

Really like your player so far. Would it be possible to add more color options, especially for “design” color, with “rgb color picker” (idk how it’s called actually) or something like that? 🙂

Keep up the good work!

• Raphaël
      2 years ago

You can already add more colors yourself. Not yet with a color picker though. That would be nice however. I’ll create a feature request.

• Realy nice work. Love it!

• Ali Hamza
    2 years ago

This is supper awesome, I can’t wait to see this on my windows phone. When are you planing to release it for phone?

• Raphaël
      2 years ago

When it’s done 🙂 I’m working as fast as I can. But can’t really put an ETA on it yet.

• Really liking the new program, it’s the first thing that’s tempted me away from Zune. So far just two (maybe three) issues I have:

1 (& this is the biggest issue) – while it responds to ‘standard’ media keys, like those on my keyboard, I’ve set my extra mouse buttons to play/pause (via the Logitech Options program) & they’re ignored, even if it’s the focus program.

2 – could do with either a smaller mini-player or the ability to resize. At the moment it’s huge & about 4 times the size of Zune’s mini-player.

3 – could do with the ability to automatically update the library, again comparing to Zune which almost instantly adds music as it hits the folder.

Fix these, particularly issue 1, & you’ll have a new convert. Is there a way to sign up for updates on progress?

• Just found micro & nano player mode, I can learn to live with those. That’s issue 2 pretty much sorted already.

• Please, please, please add folder structure view alongside artist, album, track, genre, etc.

Other than that, this is looking amazing and I can’t wait to jump ship as soon as this gets implemented.

Also very hyped for the mobile version. Can I be so rude as to ask for cloud integration? The ability to stream music saved to the google music cloud would be a godsend. Also a 10 band eq, perhaps?

Congratulations, this is looking like it has a very bright future.

• Just needs last.fm scrobbler then I would use it for real!

• Renan
    2 years ago

A good alternative to the horrible Groove Music.
    The only thing I would add is a native searcher for lyrics in the Now Playing or somewhere else like Winyl Player.

• Renan
      2 years ago

Oh, one more thing … Flat Black or Dark Gray theme would be great … is much better than this “full black” on LED screens.

• Patrick Johnson
    2 years ago

Pretty -looking GUI of Dopamine(you possibly got the name from Dopamine, a chemical released in the brain during unstable situations to help us relax better).

However, there are changes I would like you to make to the audio files media play. The feature to import folder containing mp3 files to create a playlist. Try to do something about the memory consumption – although not as bad as Groove Music in the aspect of high use of the CPU.

Keep it up! I like your application!